Let’s use this page as an all-encompassing draft night reaction page. I’ll likely update this post a few times during the draft, but the main reason is to provide a page for the FP community to share any in-the-moment thoughts you have. Enjoy!
Jared Goff, unsurprisingly, goes #1. First player from the Pac-12 to go #1 since Andrew Luck. He’s the 13th player drafted #1 from the Pac-12 (or predecessor league).
Carson Wentz, of course, goes #2 to the Eagles. 17 years after Philadelphia selected Donovan McNabb at #2.
3) Joey Bosa is a bit of a surprise pick at 3 to the Chargers. Was the consensus #1 pick for awhile before the QB crazy occurred this spring.
4) The Cowboys go with Ezekiel Elliot, which is a surprise to me. The benefit of investing so much in the OL, and at QB and WR, is that RB should be plug and play. Using a premium pick on a RB is tough to justify in many instances, but really tough given the holes the Cowboys have on defense.
5) Jalen Ramsey was an obvious and great (to the extent any draft pick can be great) pick for the Jaguars. As Chris Brown noted on twitter, Ramsey is already an insane NFL athlete. Also, the college guys love him.
6) First offensive tackle off the board…. Baltimore needed an offensive tackle, and Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame) makes a lot of sense. Going ahead of Laremy Tunsil, is a bit of a surprise. Will the Titans move up for him?
The Ravens have done pretty well with top ten picks:
|1||2003||1||10||Terrell Suggs||LB||20||2003||2015||1||6||11||96||182||166||Arizona St.||College Stats|
|2||2000||1||5||Jamal Lewis||RB||21||2000||2009||1||1||9||71||131||126||Tennessee||College Stats|
|3||2000||1||10||Travis Taylor||WR||21||2000||2007||0||0||7||32||101||90||Florida||College Stats|
|4||1999||1||10||Chris McAlister||DB||22||1999||2009||1||3||9||71||137||127||Arizona||College Stats|
|5||1998||1||10||Duane Starks||DB||24||1998||2006||0||0||5||35||97||67||Miami (FL)|
|6||1997||1||4||Peter Boulware||LB||22||1997||2005||0||4||7||60||126||102||Florida St.||College Stats|
|7||1996||1||4||Jonathan Ogden HOF||T||22||1996||2007||4||11||12||94||177||176||UCLA||College Stats|
7) San Francisco takes defensive lineman DeForest Buckner, who is an ideal fit for the 49ers 3-4 defense. Buckner was rumored to go as high as 3, so seems like a value pick.
8) We have a trade! Tennessee trades up with Cleveland. According to NFL Network, the trade was:
Cleveland gives up: 8th overall, 6th rounder (176 overall)
Tennessee gives up: 15th overall, 3rd round pick (76 overall), and 2017 2nd
The surprise? The move was for OT Jack Conklin.
9) The Bears trade up, and pay a hefty price for outside linebacker Leonard Floyd, who did have the 2nd best vertical at the combine.
10) A head-scratcher for the Giants: After paying big money to Janoris Jenkins and with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on the team, New York drafts… cornerback Eli Apple, who had a late first-round grade.
11) The Bucs then take a cornerback, Vernon Hargreaves III, which makes a little more sense. Most mock drafts had im going in the top 11, with almost all having him go in the top 15.
12) The Saints then took defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, which was a heavily-mocked pick. No surprise there and it fits a need.
13) Miami ends the Laremy Tunsil free-fall; this looks like a great value pick for the Dolphins, assuming the marijuana issues are behind him.
14) Oakland takes safety Karl Joseph: the defense needed help, although this may be a reach based on mocks.
15) As I wrote yesterday, I expected one of the wide receivers to go earlier than was being mocked. The Browns triple down on Baylor, adding Corey Coleman to a passing attack that (maybe) has RG3 and (maybe) has Josh Gordon.